Monday, March 15, 2010

1st outyard.

I had my first meeting with my 1st outyard location. It is about 20 minutes away which is not ideal but it is a great location! Oh, he also grows blackberrys and has someone that will start 2 to 3 acres of garlic!

35 acre nursery with tons of great crops, well over a thousand holly which is a great nectar plant, and a couple of fresh water sources right on his property. There is also some soy, corn, and wheat near by, I know corn is a good pollen source, will have to check on the others.

The owner of the property is very concerned with keeping his water clean and beneficial insects safe. If/when he needs to treat some of the trees in the area for bugs he takes them out of the nursery area and sprays the roots locally. It sounds like an organic beekeeper's ideal location!

I am now trying to decide how many of my 15 new nucs to take over there. I am sure the location could support all 15 but I want to have some diversity with a couple of areas, as well as have a couple of honey flavors produced. This location would really help with expansion of the hives as well i think. What to do!

Update on my knee? It still has some swelling from my Bee Venom Therapy or Apitherapy. One of the few times I have taken a sting below my heart, and only time on my leg, but I can feel pressure build a bit when just standing.

No comments:

Post a Comment